Skip to main content
Ecuador to Expand and Improve Housing for Poor and Vulnerable Populations

Ecuador will strengthen its housing solutions for poor and vulnerable populations following approval of a $106.1 million individual loan and up to $1.6 million in non-reimbursable financing from the Inter-American Development Bank. This is the second operation to be financed with funds from the Conditional Credit Line for Investment Projects (CCLIP) for the "Casa para Todos Sector Program.”

The operation approved by the IDB's Board of Executive Directors seeks to expand access to new housing and improve the quality of existing housing for Ecuadorian families affected by house shortages and living in poverty or vulnerability. It also seeks to strengthen the government's institutional capacity to generate enabling conditions that will allow for better long-term attention to the housing deficit.

The program, which will take into account climate-change considerations, will prioritize vulnerability criteria and population groups such as women who are heads of household, people with disabilities, and indigenous peoples, who represent 12% of the total population.

According to the Ministry of Urban Development and Housing (MIDUVI), the deficit reached 57% in 2021, which means that out of a total of 4.2 million houses in the country, 2.4 million are in a deficit situation. Some 75.8% of the deficit is qualitative, i.e., housing of poor quality or without access to basic services, although recoverable through improvements. The remaining 24.2% corresponds to the quantitative deficit, i.e., unrecoverable housing that needs to be replaced by a new unit.

The loan approved by the IDB will make it possible to address both deficits. In addition, MIDUVI's institutional capacity will be strengthened by developing regulations, generating instruments, developing architectural designs, and contracting the necessary studies to implement new products that will make it possible to offer solutions to the underserved population affected by a housing deficit.

The IDB loan to Ecuador has a 24.5-year amortization period, with a six-year grace period.

About the IDB

The Inter-American Development Bank is devoted to improving lives. Established in 1959, the IDB is a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts cutting-edge research and provides policy advice, technical assistance and training to public and private sector clients throughout the region.


Salgado Derqui, Javier Jose

Salgado Derqui, Javier Jose
You may also like

Ciudades Sostenibles

Blog of the Housing and Urban Development Division (HUD) of the Inter-American Development Bank. Join the conversation about how to improve sustainability and quality of life in cities in Latin America and the Caribbean.







Read more

Project Information

Housing solutions for poor and vulnerable population

Read more
Jump back to top