High quality data are a key input for impact evaluations. These survey materials can be adapted for your data collection needs using these instructions. Also, see our questionnaire designer manual and the data entry manual for guidance on preparing your survey.
Prior to launching data collection it is imperative that safety and protection of survey participants be considered. Institutional Review Boards (IRBs) help ensure that research involving human participants is conducted in an ethical manner. This includes verifying that risks to participants are minimized, that their selection is equitable, that they are fully informed of what the survey entails, and understand the potential risks and benefits. Information about IRBs as well as available services are included in the following links:
- IRB FAQs
- Definition of IRB
- NIH IRB Training
- Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs (AAHRPP). Provides training and certifies IRB's. Webpage includes a list of currently certifiedIRB's
- Biomed IRB.
- Chesapeake IRB. Independent IRB services
- Copernicus Group. Independent IRB services
- Institutional Review Board Services. Independent IRB services
- NRC-National Research Center. Provides services to implement surveys, program evaluation, performance measurement, policy building, etc. Includes IRB in consultancy.
- Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) at the United States Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). Located within HHS, this officehas the leadership in human subjects and provides a list of lawas, regulation and guidelines on human subjects protection in over 100 countries.
- Pearl IRB. Independent IRB services
- Quorum Review IRB. Independent IRB services – Only US and Canada
- Sterling IRB. Independent IRB services
- Western IRB. Independent IRB services - International
Further examples of survey questions, as well as questionnaires, can be found at:
- Demographic and Health Surveys (DHS)
- Family Life Surveys: Mexican Family Life Survey (MXFLS), Guatemala Surveyof Family Health (EGSF)
- Fundación SEPI: Survey on business strategy
- Living Standards Measurement Surveys (LSMS)
- National Household Survey Network(IHSN) Catalog of Survey Questionnaires
- OAS Victimization Surveys
- Standardized Tests
- Early Childhood Development
- Designing Household Survey Questionnaires for Developing Countries: Lessons from 15 years of Living Standards Measurement Study (Grosh and Glewwe; World Bank, 2000) : A comprehensive handbook with insights ofr customizing surveys and improving data quality.
- The Survey Quality Assessment Framework (SQAF) and reference guide (Spanish) assist survey managers with good practices for planning, implementing and documenting surveys. The guidelines can be used to develop new surveys and evaluate existing surveys. SQAF advice for impact evaluations can be found here.