We promote tourism that leads to job training and employment opportunities for underserved sectors of the population such as women and ethnic minorities.
Our tourism projects help to improve infrastructure such as roads, ports and airports that increase the flow of both people and goods.
We promote the use of information technology for tourism related research, product development, marketing, and job training.
Tourism can have a positive impact on the environment when it seeks increase ecological awareness and earmarks funds for environmental protection and restoration projects.
Tourism increases opportunities for integrating the public and private sectors on everything from infrastructure to energy efficiency.
In order to ensure that tourism generates sustainable economic, social, and environmental growth, our work focuses on: (i) developing national and subnational diagnoses to measure the economic, environmental and social impacts of tourism, both positive and negative; (ii) facilitating investments in the tourism sector to increase its competitiveness and resilience; and (iii) strengthening tourism governance, including private sector investment and its financial sustainability.
Sustainable tourism projects aim at helping Latin American and Caribbean countries to:
- Improve crisis management capacity in the tourism sector, including health crises such as the one experienced with COVID-19
- Increase the economic benefits of tourism and its contribution at the local level
- Strengthen the distribution of tourism benefits among the most vulnerable social groups
- Strengthen tourism environmental and climate management
- Improve the institutional tourism framework