Verónica M Gonzalez Diez
Economics Senior Specialist
(202) 623 - 3309
Veronica Gonzalez Diez joined the Office of Evaluation and Oversight (OVE) at the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB) in 2001 and has made a career in the evaluation field promoting evidence-based decision-making processes.
At OVE, Veronica has a track-record as author/manager of highly-influential and institutionally re-shaping evaluations sector and corporate evaluations. In the sector area, she co-led OVE’s flagship report on Climate Change in 2014 and was a member of the Oversight Committee of the Evaluation of the Climate Investment Funds (CIF). She also developed the first guidelines to implement Evaluation Good Practice Standards on Environmental and Social issues for the private sector in 2005. In the area of Corporate Evaluation, Veronica co-led the Second Independent Evaluation of the Multilateral Investment Fund, and participated as a team member in the Ninth General Capital Increase Mid-term Evaluation (2013) and the GCI-9 Final Evaluation (2017). Within the Oversight team, Veronica has been a member of the core team that carried out Evaluability exercises in 2005 and 2009. She led the Project Completion Report validations in 2005 and 2008.
Veronica manage high-profile Country Program Evaluations (CPE), maximizing IDB’s institutional influence and ensuring high quality standards. She is currently leading the Ecuador CPE (2012 -2017) Previously, she led Haiti CPE (2011-2015) and Bolivia CPE (2011-2015), co-led CPEs for Haiti (2007-2011), led Dominican Republic (2004-2008), and participated as a team member in Argentina’s (2003-2008), Mexico’s (2001-2006), and Suriname’s (1980-2004).
Veronica promotes for the IDB Group innovative research tools and “gold standard” evaluation methodologies. In the recent years, she carried out Randomized Control Trials (RCT) in Dominican Republic, Colombia and Brazil.
Veronica is member of the American Evaluation Association and is OVE’s focal point for the Multilateral Development Bank (MDB) Common Performance Assessment System (COMPAS). Veronica has a M.A. Degree in International Political Economy from the University of Alberta (Canada, 2001) and a B.A. in Political Science and Communication from the University of Cordoba, (Argentina, 1998).
Some of Verónica's recent publications at OVE include:
· Second Independent Evaluation of the Multilateral Investment Fund (2013)
· “Can arts-based interventions enhance labor market outcomes among youth? Evidence from a RCT in Rio de Janeiro”, Journal of Labour Economics, November 20, 2016. IZA Discussion Paper Series, May 2014 (IZA DP No. 8210). Co-author.
· “Creating New Opportunities for Rural Producers. Impact Evaluation of a Pilot Program in Colombia” OVE Working Paper Series, September 2013 (OVE/WP-09/13) – Co-author.
· “The Impact of Technology Adoption on Agricultural Productivity: The case of Dominican Republic” IDB Working Paper Series, May 2009 ( IDB-WP OVE/WP-05/09 )- Co-author.
Some of Verónica's publications at OVE include:
- Country Program Evaluation: Ecuador 2012-2017
- IDB and IIC Project Performance: OVE’s Review of 2016 Project Completion Reports and Expanded Supervision Reports
- Country Program Evaluation: Haiti 2011-2015
- Country Program Evaluation: Bolivia (2011-2015)
- Evaluation of Special Programs Financed by Ordinary Capital