Since its establishment in 1995, the IDB Office in Asia (ASI) has played a critical role as a bridge between the dynamic economies of Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) and the IDB’s Asian member countries. ASI has contributed substantially to strengthening business and economic cooperation between both regions, thus supporting the Bank’s mission of promoting sustainable and equitable development in its borrowing member countries. ASI is part of the IDB’s Office of Outreach and Partnerships and its activities are coordinated with Bank headquartersin Washington, DC.
In addition to its core function of liaising with the IDB’s donor governments and aid agencies in Asia, facilitating relationships with the business communities, academia, and NGOs in these countries is one of ASI’s primary objectives. It is also responsible for promoting and/or supporting the organization of seminars, conferences, and dialogue on key issues in LAC; paying special attention to the social and economic development landscape in the region; and identifying and managing key partnerships with actors in its Asian member countries that can enrich the IDB’s development work.
Specifically, with the Japanese public sector, the Bank has worked in quality infrastructure with a special focus on renewable energy and energy efficiency, as well as poverty reduction through the Japan Special Fund. At the same time, the Japanese private sector has been a critical partner in the emerging and sustainable cities space, disaster risk management, and other topics. In addition, the Bank has consistently expanded its partnership with Korea around infrastructure, mobilizing resources for a concessional facility for infrastructure development in the region, while investing jointly in capacity building efforts, and looking always to foster business ties. Finally, the IDB has worked extensively with Chinese government agencies and companies, for instance partnering through the China Co-financing Fund for Latin America and the Caribbean to fund critical public and private sector infrastructure projects and to provide support to the region’s businesses.
When: October 23-24, 2017
Where: Hotel Shilla, Seoul, Korea
- Participants: Representatives and Entrepreneurs from LAC countries and Korea
- Inter-American Development Bank
- Ministry of Strategy and Finance of Korea
- Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency
- Export-Import Bank of Korea
- Language: English, Spanish, Portuguese and Korean
Career Seminar “Working at Multilateral Development Banks”
When: 27 October 2017 from 6:30 – 8:30PM
Where: WasedaUniversity, Tokyo, Japan
- Participants: Students and young professionals.
- Speakers will include high-level representatives from the following multilateral development banks:
- アフリカ開発銀行（African Development Bank)
- アジア開発銀行（Asian Development Bank)
- 米州開発銀行（Inter-American Development Bank)
- 米州投資公社（Inter-American Investment Corporation)
- Language: English
- For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org