Transportation in Latin America and the Caribbean
At the Inter-American Development Bank Transport’s Division we pursue the goal of promoting economic development and quality of life of its inhabitants through transportation and infrastructure activities in an efficient, affordable, sustainable and safe way.
Our operational and knowledge lines of action focus in an integrated view of the different types of passenger and freight transport (road, urban, rail, air, ports) in combination with the strategic areas of Road Safety, Freight Logistics and Sustainable Transport (REST), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) and Major Projects, which are the Banks’s differentiating factor in expertise and specific knowledge generation in the transportation sector in the Latin-American region.
Transport’s projects take into account the characteristics of each country, the importance of regional integration, gender dimensions and environmental, social and fiscal interventions while emphasizing the importance of public investment growth and of private sector participation in infrastructure financing.
IDB to finance the optimization and expansion of Kingston’s container terminal capacity in Jamaica with loan of up to US$175 million. Dec 18, 2015
IDB supports new program to restore and maintain rural roads in Paraguay with a $62 million loan. Dec 8, 2015
Nicaragua will improve the efficiency and safety of its transportation system with a $90.7 million loan from the IDB. Nov 13, 2015
IDB Transport Update
Source: BID Transporte
Road Safety Guidelines. Inter-American Development Bank.
Jun 30, 2014.
The V Road Safety Week ended with the objective of generating awareness actions for safety on the roads and, therefore, reduced traffic accidents.
Oct 6, 2013.
- Bahamas. Sustainable Urban Bus System Planning and Design.
- Brazil. Santo Andre Urban Sustainable Mobility Program.
- Brazil. Support to the Northeast Region Productive Development Program - PRODEPRO.
- Brazil. Program for Integrated Urban Development of the Municipality of Campo Grande - V. Dec 16, 2015
- Regional. Program to increase women's citizen security in urban transport - Phase II. Dec 15, 2015
- Bahamas. Support for the development of a National Airlift Diversificaiton Plan. Nov 24, 2015