Integrity is essential to the IDB Group’s mission of promoting development throughout Latin America and the Caribbean. Corruption weakens democratic institutions, discourages investment and job creation. Ultimately, it hits hardest the poor and those without access to proper legal recourse.
The Office of Institutional Integrity plays a key role in the IDB Group’s efforts to combat corruption. The Office of Institutional Integrity investigates possible prohibited practices, including fraud and corruption, within Bank-financed activities, carries out prevention activities designed to improve the IDB Group’s integrity policies and mechanisms, and engages in outreach on integrity-related issues.
All parties participating in IDB Group-financed activities are held to the highest standards of integrity. Bank staff are obligated to report any possible violation of the IDB Group’s anti corruption regulations.
The Bank’s integrity program focuses on three distinct, but closely related areas:
Areas of work
Support programs that will help IDB borrowing member countries strengthen good governance, enforce the rule of law and combat corruption.
Ensure that activities financed by the Bank are free of fraud and corruption and executed with proper safeguards.
Ensure that Bank staff act in accordance with the highest levels of integrity and that the institution’s internal policies and procedures are committed to this goal.
By the numbers
25 and 11
Twenty-five individuals and 11 firms were sanctioned in 2010 by the IDB Group’s Sanctions Committee because they engaged in fraud, corruption, collusion or coercion.
Views and views
Support for integrity, governance and institution building in Latin America and the Caribbean
Aug 15, 2011.
Cross debarment, a new enforcement tool, greatly increases potential penalties for firms engaging in fraud and corruption.
Mar 8, 2011.
- Regional. Institutional Capacity Strengthening Visiting Research Fellows Program. Nov 17, 2011
- Guatemala. Transparency and Integrity in the Selection and Employment of Civil Servants. Dec 14, 2010
- Brazil. National Prog. to Support the Adm. and Fiscal Manag Brazilian Municipios-PNAFM. Nov 30, 2009
- Argentina. Enhancing Transparency in Subsidies Allocation. Jun 12, 2009
- Ecuador. Transparency in the Extractive Industry in Ecuador. Feb 17, 2009
- Chile. Learning Together: Strengthening Community and Education. Dec 8, 2008