Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean, home to some of the world’s most pristine and diverse ecosystems, depend heavily on natural resources to generate economic growth.
The challenge for this region is to reconcile the demands of growth with the need to protect and manage its habitats and resources in order to achieve sustainable development, while facing global environmental threats such as climate change.
The IDB helps member countries address these challenges by financing activities to improve the management of protected areas, generate income opportunities for communities that depend on ecosystem services, manage coastal and marine resources, and support climate change and disaster risk management initiatives in critical watersheds.
We also ensure that every project we finance includes rigorous social and environmental safeguards and sustainability measures.
Areas of work
By the numbers
About 100 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to air pollution levels exceeding World Health Organization guidelines.
Guyana will invest in sustainable agricultural development to boost productivity and sustainable use of natural resources
Guyana aims to produce high-quality data for the sustainable agricultural sector with US$15 million IDB loan. Nov 16, 2016
IDB announced the creation of NDC Invest, a platform to help the countries of the region convert their climate commitments into investment. Oct 6, 2016
- Regional. Associate Professional Officer for VPS/ESG for Environmental and Social Review S. Jul 11, 2016
- Regional. Environmental Governance Analysis in Latin America and Caribbean. May 27, 2016
- Bolivia. Operationalizing Bolivia¿s Joint Mechanism for Mitigation and Adaptation to Clim. Nov 11, 2015
- Brazil. Instituto Inhotim: Strengthening Regional Development, Climate Change and Biodiv. Sep 16, 2015
- Regional. Strengthening Country Environmental and Social Safeguards Systems. Jul 31, 2015
- Haiti. Strengthening of the PIC's Environmental, Health and Safety Capacity. Jun 18, 2015
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services Program
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- A Natural Asset (2:00)
- What does biodiversity have to do with innovation? (02:15)