Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean, home to some of the world’s most pristine and diverse ecosystems, depend heavily on natural resources to generate economic growth.
The challenge for this region is to reconcile the demands of growth with the need to protect and manage its habitats and resources in order to achieve sustainable development, while facing global environmental threats such as climate change.
The IDB helps member countries address these challenges by financing activities to improve the management of protected areas, generate income opportunities for communities that depend on ecosystem services, manage coastal and marine resources, and support climate change and disaster risk management initiatives in critical watersheds.
We also ensure that every project we finance includes rigorous social and environmental safeguards and sustainability measures.
Areas of work
By the numbers
About 100 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to air pollution levels exceeding World Health Organization guidelines.
IDB loan to the Marcona and Tres Hermanas wind farm projects in the department of Nazca, south of Lima in Peru. Sep 26, 2014
Peru to reduce emissions from deforestation and forest degradation with support from Norway, Germany, and the IDB
The Governments of Norway and Germany have agreed on a results-based mechanism to deter deforestation in Peru by 2021. Sep 23, 2014
- Bahamas. Ecosystem-based Development for Andros Island.
- Haiti. Sustainable Coastal Development Program.
- Brazil. Preparation of the GEF Project BR-T1304-Institutional Strengthening for Access. Jul 25, 2014
- Brazil. Regional Tourism Development Program - Espirito Santo State. Jul 23, 2014
- Brazil. Conservation of BES in the Atlantic Forest Tri-National Corridor of Iguazu Natio. Jul 11, 2014
- Regional. Program for Enhancing the Institutional Capacity of Public and National Developm. Apr 15, 2014
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services Program
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- A Natural Asset (2:00)
- What does biodiversity have to do with innovation? (02:15)