Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean, home to some of the world’s most pristine and diverse ecosystems, depend heavily on natural resources to generate economic growth.
The challenge for this region is to reconcile the demands of growth with the need to protect and manage its habitats and resources in order to achieve sustainable development, while facing global environmental threats such as climate change.
The IDB helps member countries address these challenges by financing activities to improve the management of protected areas, generate income opportunities for communities that depend on ecosystem services, manage coastal and marine resources, and support climate change and disaster risk management initiatives in critical watersheds.
We also ensure that every project we finance includes rigorous social and environmental safeguards and sustainability measures.
Areas of work
By the numbers
About 100 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to air pollution levels exceeding World Health Organization guidelines.
The IDB and Miami Dade College select eighteen startups from Latin America, the Caribbean and South Florida to participate in Demand Solutions Miami 2017
The IDB and Miami Dade College have selected 18 disruptive startups from Latin America, the Caribbean and South Florida working on improving. Aug 21, 2017
Multilateral banks to deepen collaboration with private sector to boost inclusive, sustainable infrastructure
Multilateral banks to deepen collaboration with private sector to boost inclusive, sustainable infrastructure worldwide. Apr 22, 2017
- Regional. CANEF - Promoting Sustainable Practices in the Mining and Forestry Sectors. Aug 10, 2017
- Bolivia. Program for the Strengthening of Environmental and Natural Resource Management. Mar 8, 2017
- Bolivia. Support to the Program to Strengthen Environmental and Natural Resource Management. Dec 14, 2016
- Regional. Environmental Governance Analysis in Latin America and Caribbean. May 27, 2016
- Bolivia. Operationalizing Bolivia¿s Joint Mechanism for Mitigation and Adaptation to Clim. Nov 11, 2015
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services Program
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- A Natural Asset (2:00)
- What does biodiversity have to do with innovation? (02:15)