Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean, home to some of the world’s most pristine and diverse ecosystems, depend heavily on natural resources to generate economic growth.
The challenge for this region is to reconcile the demands of growth with the need to protect and manage its habitats and resources in order to achieve sustainable development, while facing global environmental threats such as climate change.
The IDB helps member countries address these challenges by financing activities to improve the management of protected areas, generate income opportunities for communities that depend on ecosystem services, manage coastal and marine resources, and support climate change and disaster risk management initiatives in critical watersheds.
We also ensure that every project we finance includes rigorous social and environmental safeguards and sustainability measures.
Areas of work
By the numbers
About 100 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to air pollution levels exceeding World Health Organization guidelines.
IDB approves $5 million fund to encourage investment in projects to boost farm income, address climate change. Jul 16, 2015
IDB donates $15 million for artisan fishing sector’s institution- and capacity-building, and for public infrastructure in Haiti. Jun 30, 2015
- Colombia. Assessing Tropical Dry Forest Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services.
- Regional. Knowledge Consolidation&Investment Innovation in Int. Coastal Zone Management.
- Trinidad and Tobago. Tobago Water Colours Adaptation Project.
- Regional. Communications and outreach for the Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services Program. Aug 19, 2015
- Dominican Republic. Greening food supply chains to increase competitiviness and conserve coastal eco. Jul 30, 2015
- Bolivia. National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan. Jul 21, 2015
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services Program
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- A Natural Asset (2:00)
- What does biodiversity have to do with innovation? (02:15)