Environment in Latin America and the Caribbean
Latin America and the Caribbean, home to some of the world’s most pristine and diverse ecosystems, depend heavily on natural resources to generate economic growth.
The challenge for this region is to reconcile the demands of growth with the need to protect and manage its habitats and resources in order to achieve sustainable development, while facing global environmental threats such as climate change.
The IDB helps member countries address these challenges by financing activities to improve the management of protected areas, generate income opportunities for communities that depend on ecosystem services, manage coastal and marine resources, and support climate change and disaster risk management initiatives in critical watersheds.
We also ensure that every project we finance includes rigorous social and environmental safeguards and sustainability measures.
Areas of work
By the numbers
About 100 million people in Latin America and the Caribbean are exposed to air pollution levels exceeding World Health Organization guidelines.
IDB and Maná announce the winner of the the ¿Dónde jugarán los niños? (“Where Will the Children Play?”) contest
The IDB, Maná and the Selva Negra foundation announced the winner of the ¿Donde jugarán los niños video contest. Sep 23, 2016
The IDB has published the study "Stranded Assets: a Climate Risk Challenge," focused on potential costs globally and in the region. Sep 15, 2016
- Regional. Associate Professional Officer for VPS/ESG for Environmental and Social Review S. Jul 11, 2016
- Regional. Environmental Governance Analysis in Latin America and Caribbean. May 27, 2016
- Bolivia. Operationalizing Bolivia¿s Joint Mechanism for Mitigation and Adaptation to Clim. Nov 11, 2015
- Brazil. Instituto Inhotim: Strengthening Regional Development, Climate Change and Biodiv. Sep 16, 2015
- Regional. Strengthening Country Environmental and Social Safeguards Systems. Jul 31, 2015
- Haiti. Strengthening of the PIC's Environmental, Health and Safety Capacity. Jun 18, 2015
Biodiversity & Ecosystem Services Program
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- A Natural Asset (2:00)
- What does biodiversity have to do with innovation? (02:15)