To learn more about biofuels, click here
According to the United Nations, renewable energy constitutes 15% of the global energy supply. Latin America and the Caribbean have one of the highest rates of renewable energy consumption of any region in the world. Latin America and the Caribbean has harnessed much of its hydro resource potential. How can the region harness the full potential of other sustainable energy sources like geothermal, wind, and solar? This presents a huge opportunity to make gains in other areas of renewable energy and to learn how to integrate such sources into the existing energy infrastructure in the region. Another important question is: How can you incentivize such energy so as to provide it at the lowest cost to citizens?
Investing in renewable energy creates jobs, fosters economic growth, and improves energy security for countries. Increasing the share of energy from renewable sources can:
- Reduce greenhouse emissions and local pollution
- Insulate countries from fuel price volatility
- Help improve national balance of payments
Achieving the United Nations Secretary General's objective of doubling the percentage of renewable energy by 2030 requires support from all sectors of society.
Latin America and the Caribbean's renewable energy potential is large enough to cover its projected 2050 electricity needs 22 times over.
There are many useful sources of energy information in our region. Here we bring together a curated list of relevant resources for you. This will give stakeholders more tools to increase energy efficiency.
In addition to these highlighted publications, Infoguides provides a wealth of information on many energy topics.
Highlighted IDB Tools
- REN21 "Renewables 2016 Global Status Report" 2016
- IDB "Expansión de las energías renovables no convencionales en América Latina y el Caribe: El rol de las instituciones financieras de desarrollo" 2016
- IDB "Preliminary Analysis of Potential for River Hydrokinetic Energy Technologies in the Amazon Basin" 2015
- IDB "Social Benefits from Renewable Energy in Latin America and the Caribbean" 2014
- IDB "Potential for Energy Storage in Combination with Renewable Energy in Latin America and the Caribbean" 2014
- IDB "Analysis of the impact of increased Non-Conventional Renewable Energy generation on Latin American Electric Power Systems" 2014
- IDB "Geothermal Energy: A Sustainable Source of Power" 2014
- IDB "Promoting Geothermal Development" 2014
- IDB "Emprendimiento de la energía geotérmica en Colombia" 2014
- Frankfurt School-UNEP "Global Trends in Renewable Energy" 2014
- International Energy Agency "Energy Statistics of non-OECD Countries" 2013
- International Energy Agency "Energy Balances of non-OECD Countries" 2014
- Inernational Energy Agency "How2Guide for Wind Energy Roadmap Development and Implementation" 2014
- World Bank "Transmitting Renewable Energy to the Grid : The Case of Mexico" 2014
- REN21 "Renewables Global Status Report" 2014
- UNIDO Renewable Energy Observatory
- UNIDO "Capacity Building Programme on Renewable Energy"
- “Smart Grids Colombia Visión 2030”