Ensuring universal access to modern energy services has far reaching social and economic benefits for society. The Latin America and Caribbean region is very close to achieving universal access. In electricity this means advancing from 95% to 100% access and this requires an even larger investment and a new set of solutions.
Electricity coverage in Latin America and Caribbean
*Click on “Explore data” in the lower right hand corner to see other countries in the region
In cooking fuels, there is much more work to be done, but the questions remain: How do we reach the rest of the population that lacks electricity access? How do we provide them with access to clean cooking fuels? It is also important to ask: what is sustainable access? The goal is to ensure sustainable energy for all.
Energy access plays an important role in issues such as eradicating poverty, reducing infant mortality, improving education, promoting gender equality, increasing access to quality medical care, and attaining environmental sustainability.
There are many useful energy information resources in our region. Here we bring together a curated list of relevant resources for you. This will give all stakeholders the tools to effectively provide universal energy access.
Highlighted IDB Tools
- IDB "The Energy SEctor: Opportunities and Challenges" 2016
- Waterloo Global Science Initiative "Open Access Energy"
- OLADE "Guía sobre género y energía para capacitadoras(es) y gestoras(es) de políticas públicas y proyecto" 2014
- ENERGIA " Mainstreaming Gender in Energy Projects " 2011
- Energy Policy "The last mile in the Brazilian Amazon - A potential pathway for universal electricity access" 2015
- REEP "Case study on Dissemination of Fuel Efficient Biomass Stoves in South Africa" 2011
- OLADE "Cobertura eléctrica en América Latina y el Caribe" 2012
- The Electricity Journal "Improving Access to Modern Energy Services: Insights from Case Studies" 2012
- IDB "Technical Specifications for Photovoltaic Systems" 2014
- World Bank "Energy Access, Efficiency, And Poverty" 2012
- World Bank "Household Energy Access for Cooking and Heating" 2012
- World Bank "The Welfare Impact of Rural Electrification: A Reassessment of the Costs and Benefits An IEG Impact Evaluation" 2008
- Ministerio de Minas y Energía "Colombia. National Energy Plan 2006-2025"
- Ministerio de Ambiente, Energía y Telecomunicaciones "Costa Rica. VI National Energy Plan 2012-2030"
- Viceministerio de Electricidad y Energías Alternativas "Bolivia. Plan de Universalización Bolivia con Energía 2010 - 2025"
- Ministerio de Energía y Minas "Perú. Plan Nacional de Electrificación Rural 2012-2021"