Social Innovation Program for Development
For young innovators ages 18 to 33 from and operating in Latin America and the Caribbean that are implementing a program or project with social impact in their communities. There are many young people across Latin America and the Caribbean, like thousands of their counterparts world-wide that are taking charge and becoming the primary social actors seeking a more active role in determining the future of their schools, communities and countries. As IDB Youth has been promoting for years, this group represents a source of great potential and energy for development. Considering the tremendous increase in demand from organizations for youth led development, and in order to take full advantage of this potential resource, IDB Youth is launching thesocial innovationprogram which would promote opportunities and foster the innovation, entrepreneurial and leadership capacityof young people to address age old problems with new solutions across sectors.
The program will take place in Washington, D.C. from October 20 – 27 and will select 25 social innovators to be a part of a capacity building program with experts in social innovation, design and project management, partnership development, fundraising and strategic communication, among others. Participants will be selected by a jury of specialists from the IDB and from other partner institutions.
The program’s objective is to establish a network of social innovators from Latin America and the Caribbean that are involved in their communities’ development. The program also seeks to strengthen the managerial, entrepreneurial, communication, creativity and innovation capacity of participants.
Candidates interested in applying, should have their programs or projects in execution for at least one year related to the following topics:
- Poverty Reduction
- Road Safety
- Climate change (mitigation and or adaptation); and
- Gender or social inclusion
The call for candidates is open from July 1 – 26.
Selected candidates will be awarded a round trip airline ticket from the nearest airport of their home location to Washington, D.C., room and board, and a stipend for food and local transportation.
It is expected that selected innovators participate in all the activities of the program including online prior to the meeting in DC and after the event.
For more information and to submit your candidacy, please click here.
Selection Criteria and Requirements
- Innovators/social entrepreneurs from and operating in Latin America and the Caribbean that have started and are implementing a project or program with social impact in their communities.
- Demonstrate history/trajectory, activities, results and partners.
- The project or program should be innovative with at least one year of implementation and with plans to expand.
- The project or program has to be related to at least one of the following sectors: poverty reduction/alleviation; education; employment; technology; climate change (mitigation and adaptation); road safety; gender and social inclusion.
- Program should be working in partnership with at least one sector: public, private, civil society or university.
- Candidates must be between 18 and 33 years of age by October 1st, 2013
- Along with the application, the candidate should submit three letters of recommendation from three separate institutions. The institutions should be familiar with the candidate’s work and accomplishments and be able to provide examples that validate candidacy.
- Application must be completely filled out at the time of submission, accompanied by the three letters of recommendation and a three minute video that explains project/program and why the candidate would like to participate in the program. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applications should be submitted on IDB Youth’s Website, www.iadb.org/idbyouth and the video has to be uploaded in (Youtube, Vimeo...) and send us the link.
- Applications will be accepted July 1 - 26, 2013 11:59 PM EST. There will be no deadline extensions.
- Selected candidates will be notified by August 20th. Participation is contingent on obtaining a USA visa.
Portuguese: Clique aqui para ter acesso à versão da convocatória em português.