Agriculture and Food Security
Our main goal is to accelerate growth of agricultural output in Latin America and the Caribbean while promoting efficient and sustainable management of natural resources. Through sustained growth in the sector, the Bank is helping to enhance food security, increased incomes for the rural population and reduce poverty.
To maintain or increase agricultural growth and to face the challenges of feeding an increasing population and adapting to the impacts of climate change, the IDB helps farmers increase their productivity with greater access to markets, better agricultural services and increased investments.
By the numbers
Agriculture in the region suffers from a slow growth in productivity. The annual rate of growth of total productivity in the region grew only 1.9 percent between 1961 and 2007. More>>
News and Views
IDB to back low carbon agricultural products in Latin America to help on climate change mitigation
Feb 4, 2011.
FONTAGRO is an alliance of 15 countries to fund research and innovation in the agricultural sector in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Feb 3, 2011.
- Bolivia. Direct Support for the Creation of Rural Agrifood Initiatives II.
- Colombia. Program to Support Agricultural Competitiveness.
- Ecuador. Boosting the Productivity at the Border.
- Haiti. Sustainable Coastal Tourism Program. Dec 11, 2014
- Jamaica. Adaptation Program and Financing Mechanism for the PPCR Jamaica. Dec 11, 2014
- Bahamas. Ecosystem-based Development for Andros Island. Nov 5, 2014
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- Improving Rural Life (03:30)
- Keeping Track of Livestock (03:30)