Agriculture and Food Security
Our main goal is to accelerate growth of agricultural output in Latin America and the Caribbean while promoting efficient and sustainable management of natural resources. Through sustained growth in the sector, the Bank is helping to enhance food security, increased incomes for the rural population and reduce poverty.
To maintain or increase agricultural growth and to face the challenges of feeding an increasing population and adapting to the impacts of climate change, the IDB helps farmers increase their productivity with greater access to markets, better agricultural services and increased investments.
By the numbers
Agriculture in the region suffers from a slow growth in productivity. The annual rate of growth of total productivity in the region grew only 1.9 percent between 1961 and 2007. More>>
News and Views
IDB to back low carbon agricultural products in Latin America to help on climate change mitigation
Feb 4, 2011.
FONTAGRO is an alliance of 15 countries to fund research and innovation in the agricultural sector in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Feb 3, 2011.
- Argentina. Sustainable Fishery Development Program.
- Bolivia. Direct Support for the Creation of Rural Agrifood Initiatives II.
- Brazil. Sanitation for Nova Estrada Watershed II - PROMABEN II.
- Ecuador. Sustainable Development of the Dairy Value Chain of Small-scale Entrepreneurs in. Dec 19, 2013
- Brazil. Fiscal Consolidation Program II Rio Grande del Sur (PROCONFIS II). Dec 18, 2013
- Suriname. Modernization of Agricultural Public Services - I. Dec 13, 2013
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- Improving Rural Life (03:30)
- Keeping Track of Livestock (03:30)