Agriculture and Food Security
Our main goal is to accelerate growth of agricultural output in Latin America and the Caribbean while promoting efficient and sustainable management of natural resources. Through sustained growth in the sector, the Bank is helping to enhance food security, increased incomes for the rural population and reduce poverty.
To maintain or increase agricultural growth and to face the challenges of feeding an increasing population and adapting to the impacts of climate change, the IDB helps farmers increase their productivity with greater access to markets, better agricultural services and increased investments.
By the numbers
Agriculture in the region suffers from a slow growth in productivity. The annual rate of growth of total productivity in the region grew only 1.9 percent between 1961 and 2007. More>>
News and Views
IDB to back low carbon agricultural products in Latin America to help on climate change mitigation
Feb 4, 2011.
FONTAGRO is an alliance of 15 countries to fund research and innovation in the agricultural sector in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Feb 3, 2011.
- Brazil. Sanitation for Nova Estrada Watershed - PROMABEN II.
- Colombia. Support for Agricultural Innovation.
- Haiti. Sustainable Coastal Development Program.
- Regional. Generations: Closing the Generation Gap between Youth and Adults in Rural Commun. Sep 9, 2014
- Peru. Project to Improve the Agricultural Statistical Information System and the Agri. Sep 3, 2014
- Brazil. Entrepreneurial Skill Development and Employability of Rural Youth in the Southe. Aug 29, 2014
- How Can You Print a Building? (22:52)
- Improving Rural Life (03:30)
- Keeping Track of Livestock (03:30)