Ñopo, Hugo - Economist
Hugo Ñopo (Ph.D. Northwestern, 2003), a Peruvian national, is a Lead Research Economist in Education at the Inter-American Development Bank (IADB), based in Bogotá, Colombia. Before that Hugo was at the Research Department of the IADB, Assistant Professor at Middlebury College, affiliated Researcher at Group for the Analysis of Development (GRADE) and advisor at the Ministry of Labor and Social Promotion in Peru. He has also been professor at different Peruvian universities and speaker in different conferences. Hugo’s research agenda includes early child development, gender and racial inequalities in educational systems and the labor markets, impact evaluation of public policies, and trust and reciprocity among economic agents. His research work has been published in different specialized academic journals and books. Currently he is also a Research Affiliate at the Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in Bonn, Germany.
- “Gender Earnings Gaps in the World” With Nancy Daza and Johanna Ramos. Forthcoming at International Journal of Manpower.
- “Detecting Gender and Racial Discrimination in Hiring through Monitoring Intermediation Services: The Case of Selected Occupations in Metropolitan Lima, Peru” with Martin Moreno, Jaime Saavedra and Máximo Torero. World Development. Vol. 40, No. 2, pp 315-328. February 2012.
- “Pushing for Progress: Women, Work, and Gender Roles in Latin America,” Harvard International Review. Vol. 33, No. 2, pp 78-83. Summer 2011.
- "Using Pseudo?Panels To Measure Income Mobility In Latin America" With Jose Cuesta and Georgina Pizzolitto. Review of Income and Wealth. Vol. 57, No 2, pp 224-246. June 2011.
- “Traditional Excluding Forces: A Review of the Quantitative Literature on the Economic Situation of Indigenous Peoples, Afro-descendants, and the People Living with Disability” With Nestor Gandelman and Laura Ripani. Latin American Politics and Society. Vol. 53, No. 4, pp 147-180. Winter 2011.
- "Educating Latin American Economists" With David Colander. International Review of Economic Education. Vol. 10, No. 1, pp 54-69. 2011.
- “The Training of Economists in Latin America” (In spanish: “ La formación de los Economistas en América Latina”). With Eduardo Lora. Revista de Análisis Económico. Vol. 24, No. 2, pp 65-93. December 2009.
- “Gender Segregation in the Workplace and Wage Gaps: evidence from Urban Mexico 1994-2004” With Sebastian Calónico. In Flückiger, Yves; Sean Reardon and Jacques Silber (Eds.). Research on Economic Inequality. Vol 17. Occupational and Residential Segregation. Emerald, U.K. 2009.
- “To What Extent Do Latin Americans Trust, Reciprocate and Cooperate? Evidence from Experiments in six Latin American Countries” With Juan Camilo Cardenas and Alberto Chong. Economía, the Journal of LACEA. Vol. 9, No. 2. pp 45-88. Spring 2009.
- “Beliefs vs. Actions. The Mystery of Discrimination in Latin America” With Alberto Chong. Economía, the Journal of LACEA. Vol. 8, No. 2. pp 79-115. Spring 2008.
- “An Extension of the Blinder-Oaxaca Decomposition to a Continuum of Comparison Groups” Economics Letters, 100, pp. 292-296, August 2008.
- “Matching as a Tool to Decompose Wage Gaps” The Review of Economics and Statistics, 90(2), pp. 290-299, May 2008.
- "Selection and Reporting Bias in Household Surveys of Child Labor: Evidence from Tanzania" With Yohanne N. Kidolezi, Jessica A. Holmes and Paul M. Sommers. African Development Review, Vol. 19 Issue 2, pp. 368-378, September 2007.
- “Race and Earnings in a Mixed-Race Labor Market” With Jaime Saavedra and Máximo Torero. Economic Development and Cultural Change. Volume 55, Number 4, July 2007.
- “Returns to Private Education in Peru” With Sebastián Calónico. Welfare and Social Policy. Vol. 3, No 1, pp. 29-52. First Semester 2007.
- “Working Within Confines: Occupational Segregation by Gender for Three Latin American Countries” With Andrew Morrison, Ruthanne Deutsch and Claudia Piras. The ICFAI Journal of Applied Economics, ICFAI Press, Vol. 0(3), pages 50-59, May 2005. Reprinted in Piras, Claudia, Ed. Women at Work: Challenges for Latin America. Inter-American Development Bank. Washington, DC, 2004.
- “The Gender Wage Gap in Peru 1986-2000. Evidence from a Matching Comparisons Approach” Económica, La Plata, Vol. L, Nro. 1-2, 2004. Leading article. Reprinted in Martinelli, Cesar (Ed.). Economía Dinámica, Economía Aplicada Y Teoría De Juegos. Ensayos En Homenaje A Ramón García-Cobián. Fondo Editorial PUCP. Lima, Peru, 2007.
- “Safe and Sound Social Policy: Reconciling Protection with Productivity” with Juan Pablo Atal. In Pages, Carmen (Ed.). The age of Productivity. Transforming Economies from the Bottom Up Inter-American Development bank, Palgrave Macmillan. Washington, DC, 2010.
- “Calidad de la Protección social en el Perú” In El Futuro de las Pensiones: Desarrollo de Programas de Capitalización Individual. Federación Internacional de Administradoras de Fondos de Pensiones and Universidad del Pacifico. 2009.
- “Income Mobility in Latin America: A Pseudo-Panel Approach” with Jose Cuesta and Georgina Pizzolitto. In Watkins, Marilyn M. Editor. World Poverty Issues. Chapter 5, pp. 123-38. Nova Publishers, 2008.
- “La investigación sobre el mercado laboral peruano: instituciones, capacitación y grupos desfavorecidos” with Miguel Jaramillo and Juan José Diaz. In Investigación, Políticas y Desarrollo en el Perú. Lima. GRADE, 2007.
- “The Economics of Social Exclusion in Peru: An invisible Wall”, with Javier Escobal, Jaime Saavedra and Máximo Torero. In Buvinic, Mayra; Jacqueline Mazza and Ruthanne Deutsch, Eds. Social Inclusion and Economic Development in Latin America. Johns Hopkins U.P. and Inter-American Development Bank. Washington, DC, 2004.
|View by Title||View by Topic||View by Coordinating Team Member||View by Date||Administered by|
|Improving Early Childhood Development in Latin America and the Caribbean||Poverty Reduction and Labor|| Behrman, Jere R. |
Lopez Boo, Florencia
|Apr, 2009||Research Department|
|Understanding Quality of Life in Latin America and the Caribbean: A Multidimensional Approach||Poverty Reduction and Labor|| Pagés-Serra, Carmen |
Behrman, Jere R.
Navarro, Juan Carlos
|Jun, 2007||The Latin American and Caribbean Research Network|
|Discrimination and Economic Outcomes||Microeconomics|| Chong, Alberto |
|Oct, 2005||The Latin American and Caribbean Research Network|