Jul 28, 2010
MIF donates $2 million for a pilot project in Latin America and the Caribbean
ICT4BUS program will aid small and mid-sized companies with information and communications technology
The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)’s Multilateral Investment Fund (MIF) announced the approval of $2 million in donations to finance seven pilot projects in information and communication technology (ICT). These projects will in turn benefit small and medium sized enterprises in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The projects were chosen through a request for proposals issued by MIF in its Program for Innovation in Information and Communications Technology for Electronic Business and the Development of SME (ICT4BUS- II). From over 400 proposals submitted by entities from 21 countries in the region, the following were chosen:
· ICT to strengthen SME associated with the National Dairy Consortium submitted by the Inter-cooperative Foundation of Ecuador.
- Information System for Agriculture and Agro Industry – The Virtual Extension, Foundation for Innovation Technology in Agriculture and Livestock – El Salvador.
- Information and Training System on Quality Seeds – Vox Terra in Bolivia.
- TURISTIC: a showcase of Tolima for the World, University of Ibagué, Colombia
- Virtual Platform – Bahamas, The Chamber of Commerce of Bahamas.
- Innovative Technology Platform for International Commerce - PTI-COMEX, Clúster Tecnológico, Argentina.
- Innovations in ICT for the Development of the Carnival Industry of Trinidad and Tobago - Service Coalition of Trinidad and Tobago.
These projects will benefit more than 8,000 micro, small and medium enterprises. The projects will also offer models based on information and communication technology that promote information management collaboration in order to become more profitable and help access new international and national markets.
MIF, an autonomous fund in the IDB, promotes economic growth that is equitable across the private sector in Latin America and the Caribbean, with special emphasis on micro, small and medium sized enterprises.