Do you have a startup that could change the world?
Apply to be selected among the most innovative startups in Latin America and the Caribbean!
This year the IDB will be selecting a group of 16 startups, to participate, from December 1st to the 3rd, 2014, in one of the most innovative events at the IDB in Washington, DC. The goal is to raise awareness and connect innovative solutions, creative ventures from Latin America and the Caribbean to the world.
Selected candidates will:
- Be exposed to the best disruptive content on innovation, interactive events, hands on workshops, inspiring talks, and find new ideas, connect, share experiences and learn from peers;
- Present their startups to the audience of DEMAND SOLUTIONS, including investors, executives, journalists, industry references, university students and prospective partners. They will also be evaluated by a panel of expert judges;
- Work two days under the modality “Fly Garage” a Mondelez International innovation incubator, to be part of a social, collaborative and creative experiment for their startups;
- Be awarded a round trip airline ticket from their home country to Washington, D.C., lodging, and a stipend for food and local transportation. It is expected that selected innovators commit to participate in all the activities of the program prior to and after the event.
- Applicant must be a citizen and resident of an IDB borrowing member country;
- Must be between 18 and 35 years of age by October 1st, 2014 and, must be the founder or co-founder of the startup;
- The startups must have at least one year but no more than two years of implementation;
- The startups must focus on technology, and should relate to at least one of the following categories: Social Change, Cities and Climate Change, Health and Wellness, Education and Open Knowledge, Government and Citizen Participation, Gaming for Social Good and Technology in Financial Services;
- Applications should be submitted through the website, www.iadb.org/DemandSolutions;
- A video pitch of no more than 2 minutes is required. The video must feature only the applicant in front of the camera. It must be uploaded to Youtube, as part of the application (no password protection please).The video should answer the following questions:
- What is the product/service about?
- What is the problem that the product/service seeks to address?
- What are the startup growth plans?
- Why should you be selected?
- Along with the application, the candidate must submit 2 letters of recommendation:
- One from the partner endorsing the startups’ work;
- The second letter must be from another type of organization familiar with the startup’s work
and accomplishments that could validate their work;
- Recommendation letters can’t be from family members of the startup founders.
- The deadline to submit applications is July 16, 2014 11:59 PM EST. There will be no extensions;
- Selected candidates will be notified by e-mail.
- Participation is contingent to the candidate obtaining a USA visa.
- Selected candidates must be ready to pitch their ideas in a “pitch by fire” format, which means they will have 3 minutes to get the selected jury and the audience interested in the startup. Participants will be allowed to use up to 3 slides if they choose to do so. Participants must focus their pitch on the main issue their startup addresses.
We belong to a world of opinions and causes. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: social inclusion, people with disabilities, productivity and jobs, and related areas.
Cities and Climate Change
It is exciting to live in big cities!, They are full of life and movement 24 hours a day. All facilities are available here: schools, hospitals and malls, museums, cinemas, theatres… But living in a big city also has some challenges. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: road safety, public transportation, drone technology, climate change adaptation or mitigation, tourism, housing, environmental protection, and related areas.
Health & Wellness
Health is one of the most important elements for enjoying great quality of life. However, Latin America and the Caribbean are threatened by one of the greatest epidemics of the 21st century, obesity. Startups in this category must focus on the use of technology to reduce: obesity, diabetes, increase wellness in general, and related healthy living areas.
Education and Open Knowledge
Education is in a reaching stage of reinvention where open data and technology will play an important role in the schools of the future. Startups in this category must use or have developed technology to improve: learning processes, teacher training, educational practices, and related areas..
Government and Citizen Participation
Crime and violence are affecting the lives of millions of people in Latin America and the Caribbean. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: crime reduction or prevention, e- government capabilities, citizen participation, civil registration, identity, and more.
Gaming for Social Good
More than 14.9 million Latin American and Caribbean people are gamers, and 40% of users play social games.This category must focus on startups that use, data and technology to help improve quality of life through gaming.
Technology in Financial Services
Financial services are essential to facilitate access to better opportunities. This category must focus on startups that use technology to help improve: access to financial services, mobile apps for small and medium enterprises, financial education, online payment methods, and related areas.
- Application process will be open from June 16, 2014 to July 16, 2014 11:59 PM EST. There will be no extensions.
- Selected candidates will be informed in mid-September via email.
- Selected candidates must agree to participate on the Demand Solutions event from December 1st to the 3rd, 2014 in Washington, D.C.
- Gustavo Alvarez Moreno, Regional Director at Up Global /Startup Weekend Latina America
- Andres Barreto, Entrepreneur & Investor at Socialatom Ventures
- José Miguel Benavente, Division Chief at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Susana García-Robles, Principal Specialist at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Facundo Garretón, CEO of Invertir Online
- Sebastián González Saldarriaga, Private Finance Operations Specialist at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Jackie Hyland, Senior Investment Analyst, at Accion Venture Lab
- Rebeca Hwang, Co-Founder of Younoodle
- Alina Kogan, Social Business Investor
- Itzel Lerma, Entrepreneurial Ecosystem Advisor for LatAm
- Juan Lopez-Salaberry, Venture Partner, 500 Startups
- Maria Mujica, Marketing Director for Gums & Candy Mondelez Latin America/ Fly Garage - Mondelez Internacional
- Fabrizio Opertti, Unit Chief at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Ignacio Peña, Strategy and Innovation Specialist
- Ben Powell, Director at Agora Partnerships
- Luiz Ros, Sector Manager at the Inter-American Development Bank
- Daniel Scholten, Manager at 3M New Ventures
- Manav Subodh, Global Manager, Corporate Affairs at Intel and Co-Founder of 1M1B
- Rodrigo Teijeiro, Founder of Fnbox
For more information please write to:
Applications are now closed.